Tuesday, June 5, 2012

How Volunteering Has Changed my l Life


Volunteering has become an important part of my life. It has given me the opportunity to give back to others, meet people and discover my career path. I have been a life-long volunteer.  I started learning the importance of volunteering as a Girl Scout in kindergarten.  One of the first things we learned was the Girl Scout Promise and what it means.  The Girl Scout Promise states “On my honor, I will try to serve God and my country, and to help people at all times and live by the Girl Scout Law.” This statement has made a positive impact on my life.  Volunteering has been significant in developing positive self-esteem and confidence in me.  Knowing that I can help others that I don't know and have an impact in their lives through a positive manner makes a wonderful heartwarming experience.  I have volunteered with many different organizations in my community and have learned so much from my experience but, the two that made the biggest significance in my life are the Juliette Low Camp and Tomball Regional Hospital.

The Juliette Low Camp is a camp in Missouri for girls with disabilities from ages seven to twenty.  I volunteered to be a counselor for fifty girls with a wide range of disabilities.  The camp lasted for a month.  During that time, I volunteered a total of 300 hours.  I went through a week long training to learn how to care for each girl and their disability.  I also learned that people come in many different packages; and they all have a heart and feelings.  Just volunteering at the Juliette Low Camp opened my eyes, to truly not judge a book by its cover.  The most important lesson I learned is to not take life for granted and to love every minute you’re given. 

At Tomball Regional Hospital I volunteered five to ten hours a week for eight weeks.  The main area I volunteered in was the Nursery and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).  During the time I volunteered there, I learn many things like how to answer the phone professionally and make medical charts.  I also learned what happens when a baby is born and is very sick and has to go to the NICU.  The most important thing I learned, that no one there taught me, was that I want to be a NICU Nurse.  I am very thankful that I was able to volunteer in the nursery at Tomball Hospital because this has helped me to discover what I want to pursue in college.

Volunteering has changed my life in many of ways.  Everybody needs help at some point in their life.  I have learned that it is important for those in your community to lend a helping hand when possible.  By volunteering, it has taught me to give to others without expecting anything in return.  

No comments:

Post a Comment